The best magazine
How to Sanitize a Water Softener
Cleaning the Water Softener
- 1). Clean the bottom and inside of a dirty tank with a sponge and water only. Use no chemicals. Remove the remaining salt or allow the softener to use up its salt in order to do this.
- 2). Add a bag of salt to the storage tank.
- 3). Run a manual regeneration cycle (also called a recharge cycle), according to your water softener's instructions.
Sanitizing the Water Softener
- 1). Remove the cover of the brinewell, which is the large tube inside the storage tank. The cover will twist or lift off.
- 2). Pour 2 tbsp. of common unscented household bleach into the brinewell. Replace the brinewell cover.
- 3). Run a manual regeneration (recharge) to draw the bleach through the softener system to sanitize it.