The best magazine
How do I Enable ECP on a Dell Dimension 5100?
- 1). Turn on your computer or restart it if it is already on and press either the "F2" or "Delete" keys to enter into the Dell Dimension's BIOS setup.
- 2). Select the "Onboard Devices" menu.
- 3). Scroll down until you locate the "LPT Port Mode" option. Highlight this and follow the displayed instructions to set the LPT Port Mode to "ECP." Input a number for the DMA channel if you are prompted to do so.
- 4). Save your changes and restart your computer.
- 5). Enter the Control Panel once your computer has rebooted and click "System and Maintenance," followed by "Device Manager." This will open up a new dialog box on your screen containing all the installed devices on your computer.
- 6). Expand the "Ports" entry. If you see an ECP port listed, then you have successfully enabled ECP for your Dell Dimension. If you do not see an ECP port listed, continue on to the next steps.
- 7). Return to the Control Panel window and launch the "Add New Hardware" wizard.
- 8). Select "Ports" from the list of devices, then select the "ECP Printer Port" install option. This will start the automated detection and installation of your ECP port. Restart your computer once the installation is finished to enable the ECP port.