The best magazine
How to Stain Ash Dark
- 1). Attach a piece of 150-grit sandpaper to an electric sander and run the sander across the surface area of the ash wood. This will open up the ash to accept the stain. Move the sander in the direction of the wood's grain to prevent scratching.
- 2). Apply the dark stain of your choice with a 3-inch nylon brush. Exert steady pressure onto the brush to fill the large pores of the wood. Brush the stain on using strokes both with and against the grain.
- 3). Allow the stain to soak for at least 30 minutes before you wipe up the excess stain with a soft, lint-free cloth, moving the cloth in the direction of the grain.
- 4). Reapply the stain using the same technique to create an even darker color, again allowing it to soak in for at least 30 minutes. Allow the stain to dry for a full 12 hours.
- 5). Apply a light coat of clear polyurethane to the wood, moving the top coat in the direction of the grain. This will protect all the hard work you've already completed. Allow this final coat to dry for 24 hours.