The best magazine
How to Call a Private Number Back
- 1). Pick up the phone. You can only call back a private number if you pick up the phone before anyone else calls you.
- 2). Dial *69. In most states the phone company will allow you to call back a private number by simply dialing *69.
- 3). Try other codes. The majority of the time *69 will work. However, it depends on your area. If the private caller is from your local area *57 should work. Other codes to try are *71 and *67. These codes are typically universal (the same) for most telephone companies. If all of these codes fail call your local telephone company to get the codes specific to the company you use.
- 4). Stop private numbers from getting through. Most phone companies offer services such as call block, call rejection, call trap or call screening. In most cases it will cost you an extra $3.95 or more each month. Call your phone service provider to find out what is available in your area. If a person calls from a private number, your phone will require the individual to identify the number before getting through. These services are not always available in rural areas.
- 5). Hang up on private callers. If you simply don't want to hear from private callers you always have the option to hang up the phone. Even if you have a call screening service some people will enter all zeros just to get through. You always have the option to hang up on them or not answer the phone.